Friday, October 29, 2010

Role Models: Holly Johnson & Su Pollard

I recently shot a couple of portraits for an Attitude 'Role Models' feature.
Three Journalists were asked to meet and interview the people who inspired them whilst growing up.

For Paul Flynn, that is Holly Johnson from the band 'Frankie Goes to Hollywood' who found fame (and controversy) in the mid 1980s with their debut single 'Relax', later followed by the number one hit, 'The Power of Love'.

We shot Holly in Brompton Cemetary one sunny weekday morning (those seem to have disappeared now the Winter is setting in right?).
Holly was immaculately styled and groomed and on very good form and, despite a sleepless night, was an absolute pleasure to shoot. I did the typical photographer thing and wanted to carry on shooting and shooting even though i had LOADS of good shots already, but Holly was very gracious about it. I will post the out-takes and my favourite shots when I go through them properly.

Brompton Cemetary is also a very pretty location. After the shoot, I changed into my running clothes in my car (yes, i got a few strange looks from passers-by) and went for a quick jog around the Cemetary.....this activity comes highly recommended and is also a great way to relax after shooting.

I was then sent to photograph English comedy actress Su Pollard, of 'Hi-di-Hi' and You Rang, M'Lord' fame, at The Hexagon Theatre in Reading (also known affectionately as 'dreading' to Su ..... am i allowed to say that?!).

At the time Su was performing in 'Annie' which I believe is now touring the country. Su was a riot; eccentric and entertaining as ever and very easy to shoot. It was fun listening to her stories and also hearing about Simon Marks' (the journalist) childhood obsession with 'Hi-di-Hi'.

No comments:

Post a Comment