Friday, August 27, 2010

LARRY TEE

I shot Larry Tee the other week. Even if you haven't heard the name Larry Tee, I'm sure you will have heard some of his music or remixes, particularly if you are a fan of electro music like me. Here's some background:

Larry Tee hails from Atlanta, Georgia where he was friends with REM and his first group, the Fans, produced the B-52s' first independent single “Rock Lobster/52 Girls.” He moved to NYC with fellow Atlantans, RuPaul and Lady Bunny and quickly took over the NYC club scene with his epic party Love Machine. He started and named the infamous DISCO 2000 of Party Monster movie fame, DJ'ed the ROXY weekly, and co-wrote the Billboard Top 40 song Rupaul's “Supermodel (You Better Work).” In 1997 Larry Tee decided to get clean from drugs and alcohol and decided to re-examine his life and career. He turned to music for inspiration and championed a new sound and movement which became the Electroclash phenomena. He created the term “Electroclash” for his festivals in 2001/2002 (it's in the Oxford English Dictionary) which helped launch the careers of Scissor Sisters, Felix Da Housecat, 2 Many DJs/Soulwax, Peaches and many more.
Larry has just moved to East London and has launched a new club night in Shoreditch.

I met Larry at his new apartment, just off Brick Lane. Whilst chatting and discussing the shot and what we could do, Larry showed me his inspiration wall. Feeling inspired, the wall became the background for our shoot.

I loved hanging out with Larry and after hearing his stories, have since started my own inspiration wall.

Here are a few sample selects.....I'm sure my favourite will soon be posted on my website (www.alexgracephoto.com).....









No comments:

Post a Comment