Tuesday, February 8, 2011

In A Taxi with Hurts

Hurts are an English synthpop duo from Manchester composed of Theo Hutchcraft (originally from North Yorkshire) and Adam Anderson.

I had the pleasure of photographing the boys for You Magazine in November and the article came out last weekend. It was freezing when we shot this (Adam isn't very good with the cold!) but the sun was out and the light was great.

One of my favourite shots is below. I love reflections and how they can be played with through the medium of photography. More out-takes from the shoot to follow shortly.

Anyway, it was great to meet the boys, I'm always extra fond of fellow Northerners, especially ones who have struggled but refused to give up and then found success.
The guys were telling me about years spent on the dole in Manchester trying to get people to listen to their music - I can relate to that as photography can be a similar experience of plugging away and waiting for someone to notice and for your career to finally take off.

Hurts have an unusual sound, I wasn't sure how to describe it (I stole the synthpop quote from wikipedia) but I like it. I'm listening to it now and i'm still not sure who they remind me of, it's quite a mix. Have a listen though. Their debut album 'Happiness' came out in Sept last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment